Even if a nice hot summer day brings many amenities with it, the warm nights are usually not that popular. If the outside temperature hardly drops at night, it is often too hot in bed and sleep is accordingly poor. In addition, anyone who wakes up frequently – possibly bathed in sweat – will feel as if they were exhausted in the morning.
If you equip your bed with a thin summer blanket, you can make the sleeping climate much more pleasant. Corresponding lightweight duvets are characterized by a very low warming effect and low weight.
The basics of summer duvets
Various types of duvets are suitable for the summer, which differ in their properties and the associated possible uses.
Different types of summer duvets
- These summer duvets are characterized by a minimized filling quantity. The heat effect is also kept as low as possible by quilting in many small squares, which ensure optimal heat dissipation.
- Some models also have sewn-in climate zones (air-permeable areas without filling), which additionally support heat regulation.
- With a light duvet you can optimally adapt the sleeping climate to your needs and are particularly flexible by purchasing a separate blanket.
Super light duvets:
- As the name suggests, this type of duvet is even lighter and thinner than the lightweight duvet described.
- Super-light duvets are recommended if you have a very low heat requirement or if your bedroom heats up a lot in summer.
- A combination duvet consists of two individual duvets – a thin, lightweight duvet and a medium-thick one for the transitional period – which can be tied together with snaps to form a warm winter duvet.
- This type of duvet is ideal if you want to buy bedding that can be used all year round.
Ideal filling materials for summer duvets
Depending on the filling material, a duvet has a different thermal effect and / or a different moisture management. The ideal summer duvet ensures a pleasantly dry sleeping climate with the lowest possible warmth that is adapted to the outside temperature. It may be useful to pay attention to the washability of a blanket, especially if you tend to sweat profusely or are allergic to it.
Filling materials with little heat effect and optimal moisture management
- Tussah silk (natural wild silk) is used as filling material, which can absorb up to a third of its own weight in moisture and direct it away from the body. The result is a pleasantly dry bed climate. In general, silk has a very low heat retention capacity, so it has a cooling effect and prevents heat build-up under the duvet.
- Ideal for people with a low heat requirement, including those who sweat.
- This washable blanket filling consists of synthetic fibers, which are largely based on natural materials. Lyocell can absorb significantly more moisture than cotton, for example, without feeling damp on the outside. Due to the hollow fiber structure, the blanket is pleasantly light.
- Highly recommended if you sweat a lot and / or are allergic to a normal heat requirement.
- Due to the structure of the hollow fibers, a blanket with synthetic microfiber filling is pleasantly light and has a very high fill power.
- Ideal for medium heat requirements, not suitable if you sweat heavily.
- Summer down comforters are particularly light due to their high proportion of down (usually approx. 90%) and still have a pleasant volume with good moisture management.
- Very suitable for people with medium to slightly increased heat requirements.
- Camel fluff comes – in contrast to camel hair – only from the belly area of the young and mother animals and is therefore particularly soft and light. Camel fluffy blankets are extremely temperature-regulating and moisture-regulating.
- Perfect filling material if you prefer a slightly warm and cozy blanket even in summer.
- The light filling material made from the noble lower hair of the cashmere goat is particularly soft. Cashmere light duvets are therefore very supple and thin with an outstanding ability to compensate for temperature.
- Ideal natural hair filling if you get cold quickly, even in summer.